News

Napanee Firefighters Create An Eco-Gel That Smothers Fires Faster

Water scarcity is being driven by two converging problems – wildland and structure fires. Climate change is contributing to longer wildfire burning of seasons and the existence of “super fires” which further depletes water resources. Thankfully, FireRein, a Napanee start-up company has found a solution.

firerein eco-gel

A group of firefighters developed a gel that is capable of putting out fires faster then water and preventing hot spots from re-igniting. It provides 3 vital firefighting applications:  it prevents, protects and extinguishes fires, using less water, knocking the fire down faster while being environmentally safe.  The gel appears to flow like water once it’s released from the hose. However, after approximately 12-15 seconds the water turns into a cream or lotion like consistency. FireRein Eco-Gel is made up of 95-97%  water and the remaining 3% is gel concentrate. It’s all natural and 100% FDA (Food and Drug Administration) approved.

firerein eco-gel

As for the FireRein Eco-Pump, it’s an easy to use on-demand mixing system that can attach to any pump which injects the Eco-Gel immediately into the hose stream.

FireRein Eco-Gel could revolutionize the way firefighters extinguish a fire. They have plans to have it out on the market by the end of 2016.

st lawrence college applied research

On Thursday, April 28, FireRein conducted a burn test in collaboration with St. Lawrence College’s Applied Research program where sensors were connected to the test area in order to retrieve data.  The St. Lawrence College Applied Research program can help take a current product or process to the next level.

To learn more about this product, connect with FireRein:

10-212 Camden Road | Napanee, Ontario K7R 1E3 | Tel: 343-884-8458 | Cell: 613-539-1952 | [email protected]

Launch Lab takes pride in helping others succeed. We’re a group of hard-working, dedicated individuals whose goal is to strengthen and grow companies like FireRein. If you’re looking to start your own venture then contact Launch Lab today! We can help you turn a great idea into a thriving business with our resources.